Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valetines day craft- homemade crayons

Several weeks ago I bought a set of heart shaped silicone ice trays in the dollar spot at target.  At the time I was not sure how I would use them but I thought they were cute and I would come up with something fun for them.  I set them aside and basically forgot about them.  Then I came across this post at the christian moms forums.
This was such a cute idea that I had to try it.  So off started my adventure to make some heart shaped crayons.  I did not have any old broken crayons, I am sure when baby bug gets older I will have all kinds of broken crayons to use for this, so I bought a cheap pack from the dollar store.  
I took the wrappers off and broke them into small pieces.  I mixed colors that I thought would look pretty together and layed them all out into the ice cube holder.  

After I had the crayons all in place I stuck it in the preheated oven at 250 degrees for 10 minutes.  Set it out to cool.
Then out they popped and I have these cute little crayons.  I am going to set babybug up in her highchair with a piece of paper and a few of these to color tonight, then I will be taking them to school with me in the morning to let my students use.  

What kind of projects have you done for Valentines day this year?

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of homemade crayons. Little Bit is only one this year so no real crafts for us yet. I love to color. I have all my life. I have a huge tub of crayons with lots of broken bits in it. Now I am saving them for a super cool project Little Bit and I can do together in a few years. Yours turned out beautifully! You should come over and check out the awesome hand made prezzie Hubs made me this year. I am so proud of him I could pop. Happy Valentines Day :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I had no idea homemade crayons were this easy! I'm a new follower from the Meet me Monday blog hop. Hope you'll follow back :)
    http://stilettostostrollers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful idea. When I was a kid I'd melt the crayons with a candle and splatter the colored wax on the paper for a cool (I thought) picture. Of course, I never let my own kids play with fire like that, but I'll tell them about your idea.
    Hopped here from Edge of Escape

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...